Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Week 9: Thing 21

I'd never downloaded a podcast before so this was a new adventure. I found a great set of podcasts from an NPR series called In Character. It's a series of talks about fictional characters from Harriet the Spy and Cookie Monster to Captain Ahab and Elmer Gantry. I downloaded the podcast via iTunes and then added the feed to my Bloglines reader (listen to this lingo just flowing out of me). At first I just sat here listening to the podcasts and thought that it would take up a lot of time, but lo and behold I realized that if I did other things on my laptop I could still listen. Eureka! Now, I really get it. I can be listening to podcasts at the end of my day when I'm getting ready to leave, I can listen to them at home and I can upload them to an iPod, when I get one. Its the audio equivalent of Tivo. The amount of content, again, amazes me. Until this class, I kept hearing about podcasts, but never felt the urge to use them, so I'm glad I finally hopped on board. Now that I'm aware of the process, I'll be more attuned to the podcast information both on the radio and in print so I can continue to take advantage of that format.

And now, back to Harriet the Spy.....

No comments: