Thursday, March 13, 2008

Week 9: Thing 23

This class has been terrific. Now that the time constraints are over, I'm going to review those 23 enlightening things so that I can begin to incorporate them into my work and share the wealth with colleagues and friends.

Some of my favorite discoveries were blogging, especially with an avatar, RSS feeds, LibraryThing, YouTube & podcasting. As a direct result of this class I'm now very comfortable with blogging and will probably incorporate one in my library work. I know book reviews are a popular way to use them so maybe I'll start there. I LOVED learning about LibraryThing, which I've passed on to everyone I know. Podcasting was fun and so was YouTube, especially when we learned how to embed one in our blog. Great stuff!

This program has absoluted affected and assisted and inspired me to be more innovative in my lifelong learning goals. This class was a great example of how to make this learning fun and relatively stress-free. As a result, I now feel comfortable enough to try new things that I may hear about, and I'm pretty proud of that.

One unexpected outcome from this program were that it's the first time, in an online class, that I was able to look at other people's work, and as a result that helped me sometimes to get my bearings and continue on. As a result, some of the frustration of having to do this work in isolation was removed and the work became more fun because I could relax a little. This is something I have to remember with my students as I create tasks for them. Even though I shared with others, I learned a tremendous amount and I'm wondering if I would have learned that much without my peers.
The only thing I could suggest doing differently is giving some sort of extra time for working around the middle of the class. Others I know started to get overwhelmed and started to withdraw. Unfortunately, they may never get to the good stuff that keeps coming. Other than that, I loved the format, the tone was almost playful which made it fun, I liked knowing I was learning 23 things (and then some!) and as I mentioned before I could see what other people were doing.

Yes, I’d love to participate in another discovery program like this one. But please don’t take this one away, it’s a great resource.

This class was innovative, enlightening and will have a significant impact on the way I will plan on teaching from now on.

Thank you.

1 comment:

RobDarrow said...

Congratulations in completing the 23 Things! I've enjoyed reading your thoughts.